Sunday, February 05, 2006

Sotto voce

I have this voice, it’s over there,
In that box under the dusty case of beer.
I just found it again, by accident.
It slips away and, truth be known,
I sometimes forget to look for it, although
I need it more often now.

It is the most surprising thing,
Hiding here and there.
I never know where to look for it.
Sometimes it lurks to the ruin of a comfortable chair
Or can be found in the fridge’s cold foods.
Other times it’s in a book on the shelf or a shadow under the stair.

It always takes me by surprise.
With my tousled hair and rolled up sleeves
As I sort through things looking for it,
Suddenly it is there, making me wonder
If all is not as it would seem,
If it hasn’t been looking for me.

2 comments:

Sue hardy-Dawson said...

What does the title mean I'm intreagued?

Russell Ragsdale said...

Sotto voce is a musical term for singing softly so as to make it seem like speaking something in confidence, something not to be overheard by everyone. I've been exploring things I feel about writing a lot lately as I try to learn more about what I believe poetry is and can do.